The DowntownABQ MainStreet Initiative is a community redevelopment organization, State designated since 2008. Our mission is to promote and support downtown’s economic, social, and creative vitality through community-driven projects and programs. A revitalized and vibrant downtown is a symbol of community economic health, local quality of life, pride, and community identity. This includes:
- Promoting and supporting downtown’s economic, social and creative vitality including its image and appearance through advocacy, projects and business development.
- Supporting local Main Street projects in the City by providing economic development and design assistance, business consultation, and monitoring.
- Ensuring progress in all areas of the Four Point Approach: Downtown Design, Economic Positioning, Promotion and Organization.
- Utilizing the Department of Economic Development as a resource center for the City in downtown revitalization techniques, and to provide advice and technical assistance whenever possible to downtown property owners and tenants.
- Attending, conducting, and/or sponsoring seminars and other educational programs concerning development, redevelopment and improvement of downtown areas.
- Promoting and encouraging the implementation of more effective, comprehensive legislative and financing techniques and devices that will further the revitalization of downtown.
- Providing a forum for citizens to share knowledge, experiences and problems for the purposes of developing programs which will better and address issues related to downtown.
- Increasing public awareness of the benefits of having an economically strong downtown.
- Facilitating communication and co-operation between all sectors representing downtown, including, but not limited to, business, service and retail, property owners, public institutions, residents, and the public.
- Assisting and guide private/public entities in the implementation of the “Downtown 2010 Master Plan”.